Saturday, December 25, 2010

Wow, What A Christmas Eve.

Well readers, this is my 60th blog posting, and what better way to start it off than by letting you all know that

I GOT ENGAGED!

That's right readers.  Skyler asked me to marry him tonight.  I was completely shocked, and for the first time I was rendered speechless.  I couldn't say anything for almost 10 minutes, I just giggled and hyperventilated and nodded yes.

After the excitement died down, I got to go home with my new fiance, where I learned how this whole epic event was kept under wraps from me.

I.  The Permission.

Skyler came to my parents last night while I was at work for two reasons:  To drop off my sparring gear (a gift from my parents for Christmas that I needed for karate), and to ask my parents' permission to marry me.  In exchange, they received 10 cow-related gifts.  So yeah, I'll be a 10 cow wife. :)

II.  The Deception.

While at work, I kept flirting over text with Sky.  At one point I said I wished he could find a new job soon because I didn't know how much longer I could go without being his wife.  To that, he sounded crushed and demoralized.  Feeling dejected, I told him I wouldn't talk about marriage again.

After returning home from work I was greeted to a host of sarcasm from my family, saying how unsociable my boyfriend was, how he only stayed for a few seconds, and how he was not friendly at all.  I told them he must have been under some sort of stress because that didn't sound like him at all.

III.  The Suspense.

Sky was excited for Christmas.  His Facebook profile said so.  I mentioned that this Christmas was going to be better than usual, to which he replied with an angst-ridden "Why do you say that?"  Perplexed, I merely mentioned he had a sweet somebody to cuddle this year as opposed to previous years, and he seemed to return to his normal self at that answer.

We both had to work, but we got off at the same time and met at his grandmother's house for dinner and gifts.    After which I headed home to drop off my car and change my clothes, and he picked me up shortly thereafter.

IV.  The Prestige.

We stopped at a house near one of our friend's homes to see a house that had been fabulously decorated for the holiday before heading to his house for more presents and fun with his family.  We drove up, hopped out of the car, and headed in.  Oddly enough, he yelled "Hello?" upon entering, but I didn't think anything of it.

We headed down the stairs and into the family room where they had all the gifts under the tree, and we started talking and carrying on until Sky's sister and her family finally joined us, and we started opening presents.  I got a robe from Sky's parents, a jacket and an amazing DC Comics history book from Sky, some body spray from Sky's sister, a necklace from Sky's other sister, an Optimus Prime action figure from my future niece and nephew, and finally, another Optimus Prime action figure that actually transformed.  Upon receiving that last present, he snatched it out of my hands, announcing he wanted to play with it.

*Side note:  There is a running joke between Skyler and I that if Optimus Prime were real, I would run away with him.  I have a huge robo-crush on him.

V.  The Event.

After fumbling with it for a few minutes, he started wondering what was wrong with it that it wouldn't transform.  Finally he said, "Oh, there's something caught in it."  With that, I watched him pull something shiny out from its chest, grab my hand with his shaking one, and slide a ring on my finger.  "Karen Curl, will you marry me?" he said with a huge grin on his face.

I'm pretty sure my heart stopped beating for a second.  I couldn't breathe.  Everything went blurry.  I just started gasping for air.  Then I started to giggle awkwardly between gasps.  Completely at a loss for words, I nodded and hugged Skyler, and everyone told me to turn around, where I was met by my entire family.

The gasping and giggling continued for a little while longer while I tried to compose myself and wipe away a tear as I hugged my parents.

It's official.  He's going to marry me. :)

I'm so happy.  I can safely say this is the best Christmas Eve ever.

Keep it real readers.

1 comment:

Lynae Bae said...

ahhhh! Thanks for sharing your story, I love hearing all the details. This is one of the cutest engagement stories I've ever heard! He did such a great job with all the details like the 10 cow wife and optimus prime. Congrats! I'm so happy for you :)