Sunday, December 12, 2010

Coins In The River

About a month ago, a few friends and I ventured out late on a Thursday night and made wishes on pennies and threw them in the Virgin River off of the La Verkin bridge.  I made seven wishes.

I'm not a superstitious person, and I rarely think wishes come true.  That being said, for kicks I like to tie my straw wrappers in knots while making wishes, if I'm around a clock at 11:11 I sometimes will close my eyes and make a wish, and even the occasional shooting star will stir up that childlike wonder that will cause me to make a wish as well.

I've never been one to believe in them, but one finds it hard to part with tradition.

I'll revisit this subject later.

Last night was my last choir concert for a while.  I'm not taking choir next semester, and I don't plan to take it again for at least a few semesters.  It's high time I focus on my chosen major, and get finished with my education.  Back to last night, it was a long road to get to that blasted concert.

I had to work that day, and I was scheduled to close.  However, my pleeb (sales associate for me to manage) was also a sales lead, and was fully capable of taking over managerial duties for the evening so I could find another associate to cover the end of my shift.  I had little trouble finding a substitute, and I thought everything would be smooth sailing.  NOT SO READERS!  My sales associate-turned-manager called in the morning of my concert, declaring she had pneumonia, and was unable to come in to work.  This woman gets sick constantly.  Seriously.  She needs to take a multivitamin or probiotic cultures or something and build up that immune system.  When I heard this dreadful news, at first I was feeling disappointed, but resigned to the unpleasant truth because Sky was going to be at black belt training and frankly, I just didn't feel prepared for the concert anyway.

Then I found out he didn't go.  He decided to stay to see my concert and take me to an institute dance after.

The scramble was on.  I had to find another replacement, and fast.  Luckily, my wonderful friend/secret lover/coworker stepped in and saved the day.  She covered the end of my shift so I could get pretty, go to my concert, rock the world, and dance the night away.  She's amazing.

The night ended up being wonderful.  My hair was rocking a fabulous ponytail with mod bangs, my eyeliner was perfect, and I was with the love of my life, who I found out loves me more than karate.  I know that's a silly thing to wonder about, but there have been times where I felt number 2 on his important scale behind karate.  But I'm not number 2!  That literally makes me breathe a sigh of relief.

The night ended parked in front of his house, where he kissed me until I was dizzy.  He had never done that before, so I was pretty impressed.  He bid me goodnight and told me he loved me, and I ran two stop signs on the way home.  Not my finest moment, but I didn't care.  I was floating on a cloud made out of sunshine and hugs and unicorns.

I can't wait to be his wife.  I don't think I've ever openly admitted that about anyone before, but it's true.  He's so good for me.  He keeps me on my toes, he calls me out on my crap, he doesn't let me get away with anything, and on top of it all, I've never been with anyone who has loved me so much for who I am.  Someone who has worked so hard to earn my love and trust, who makes me laugh every day, who wants to be weird with me, who never makes me cry (like he could), who believes in me to succeed.  I didn't know love could be like this.  I never viewed myself as missing something in my life until he came along, and filled voids I didn't even know I had.

Now, going back to the coins in the river, five of the seven wishes I made that night came true.  The rest would take place too far in the future to tell whether or not they will come true.  Those are some pretty awesome odds.

I think I need to go back to that river.  I have a really important wish to make.

Keep it real readers.

No comments: