Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Trapped In My Family's Loving Arms

Well kids, I was supposed to go back to the great white north (which I call Cedar City, especially this time of year) tonight in order to prepare for a new week of school, adventures with friends, getting further sucked into the seductive world that is the cancelled TV show "Roswell" with my housemates, and of course, the monotonous rigor that is my job. (Don't get me wrong, I love my job, and I'm lucky to have it in these economic times.)

Unfortunately, the snow came. We packed the car with my now clean laundry and finished homework, and headed north. By the time we reached the freeway, it was snowing like crazy. In not so many words, my mother said, "Screw it, I'm not driving you back in this. We'll go tomorrow afternoon."

Now, if this were last semester, I'd be jumping for joy. Living with a messy, whiny prostitute really made coming back to my crappy apartment as unpleasant as one could ever imagine. Not to mention my classes were ridiculous and I dreaded going. However, this semester is entirely different. My classes are amazing, my housemates are magnificent, I met this really great guy and I'm interested in seeing where things are going with him, and I'm happier than I've been in a long time. I was ready to go back to school and get back into my routine and being back in my groove.

But since those hopes are dashed, and I'm missing two of my favorite classes tomorrow and one hour from work. I'm a little bummed.

End of the world.

On another note, I was thinking about the movie "He's Just Not That Into You" the other day. The part when Alex explains to Gigi that those magnificent love stories you hear aren't real. How those people in them are the exception, and the rule is basically everyone else.

Well, that's not entirely true. I mean, yes, those of us who are single and the guy we like isn't calling or whatever, we ARE the rule. But in all honesty, everyone at one point or another was the rule. We, as people, are all the rule. Until we become the exception. Someone's exception. No one stays the rule forever. It's just a matter of finding your exception.

Talk about deep.

Anyway, embrace your inner glasses. I'm going to go watch a movie while craving a bologna sandwich...


No comments: